Almost two million Canadians live with diabetes, and more than 200,000 new cases are diagnosed each year. The Public Health Agency of Canada estimates that by 2012, 2.8 million Canadians will have been diagnosed with diabetes, an increase of 25% in only five years. Adults coping with diabetes are also more likely to experience related illnesses such as hypertension, kidney disease and stroke, compared to those without the disease.
Peoples Pharmacists can provide assistance with:
- Empowering you to take control of your diabetes
- Monitoring disease progressions and complications
- Lifestyle and diet recommendations
- A personal medication review
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Referring you to other health care professionals
Pharmacists play an important role in diabetes management, and as Canada's most accessible health care provider, pharmacists can help Canadians manage their diabetes and ease the strain of chronic disease on the health care system.